**For my most up-to-date happenings, check out my Tumblr page: sararaasch.tumblr.com.**

Friday, September 25, 2009

Mood Music: Character Themes


I'm loving all these awesome songs you guys listen to! My song list is near to bursting now...

Next up: Character theme songs! Is there a song that made you squeak with joy when you first heard it because it so, so perfectly explained your MC (or any character)? Is there a song that you swear was written by someone who stalked you, read about your characters over your shoulder, then wrote a song about them?

I have dos songs for this one. The first is a song that I am absolutely in love with, partly because of the hauntingness of Natalie Merchant's voice, and partly because, well, it dead-on explains Yazoo Oxbow from Stream Pirate.



The second one is a song I only just heard today. I was driving to work when it came on the radio, thereby causing me to bounce in my seat while simultaneously steering with my elbows as I grabbed my notebook to jot down a few lines of lyrics so I could lyric search it later. I'm a safe driver.

Anyway, it fits Evan, my MC from White Like Ashes, beautifully.

4 comments:

Mariah Irvin said...

I've written a post on this topic before! For my WiP, Piper's song is "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor and Veronica's song is "Raindrop Prelude".

Frankie Diane Mallis said...

Oooh wow that Natalie Merchant song is gorgeous!!!!!! Love it!! I don't think I have a song that just fits my MC...like fully encompasses her. It's more like songs for different moments of her life or how she relates to someone. Now I want to find one!

Sara Raasch said...

Mariah -- I <3 Regina Spektor

Frankie -- Natalie Merchant is amazing! Her songs are so rich. And it is a fun thing to hunt for a song that fits your MC, though usually they just "come." Pay attention to the radio...hehe

Natalie Whipple said...

I don't often have a theme song for a character, but Courtney Petersen does have one—"Soulmate" by Natasha Bedingfield. It's incredibly perfect for her.

I'm drawing a blank on others.